If you did manage to get a Swedish personal number, then well done!! However, life in Sweden can still get a bit stressful and troublesome in certain circumstances that specifically require you to identify yourself. In this regard, the Swedish National ID card is one of the safest and most convenient ways to prove who you are in Sweden, greatly facilitating your everyday transactions.
Why should you apply for a Swedish ID card?
- Owning a Swedish identity card is one of the most accurate ways to verify your identity and age in Sweden, especially if you want to stop by the pharmacy to pick up a prescription or to confirm your age when buying alcoholic beverages from a local store;
- In most cases, having a personal number is not enough to open a Swedish bank account, and thus many banks will also ask for a Swedish ID card;
- Furthermore, it might prove useful when accessing any other banking services or when dealing with authorities;
- You can also use it to easily pick up your packages from the post office or from your local supermarket;
- Carrying your passport with you 24/7 to provide personal identification leaves you vulnerable to thieves or you risk losing it.
Are you eligible to apply?
To see if you are eligible or not to apply, please check out the ID card application conditions.
However, here are some requirements that you should be aware of:
- First of all, you must obtain your Swedish personal number before applying for an ID card, so make sure you register at Skatteverket as soon as you get into KI!
- The minimum age at which you can apply is 13;
- You must prove your identity using a valid official document, such as a passport, a Swedish residence permit, or a Swedish driving license. Also, as a piece of advice, when I first tried to fulfill my application, I was specifically asked to present a valid passport instead of my national identification card and so it might be a good idea to bring your passport as well, otherwise you risk having your application rejected and wasting a lot of time until you can give it a second try!
What are some main application steps?
- Pay the application fee beforehand. It is important to pay in advance so you can be able to provide a receipt when you decide to show up at the Tax Agency office;
- Book an appointment;
- Bring the required documentation;
- Get ready to be photographed and have your height measured;
- Wait patiently until you receive a notification letter from Skatteverket informing you to pick up your card.
I'm Vlad, your Romanian blogger who comes from the very homeland of Dracula, Transylvania. While completing my first degree in International Business, I based my undergraduate thesis on the inconsistency of biological analogies in Economics. I began to study the genomes of ants and thus gravitate towards Biomedicine and KI. I chose Karolinska because of its academic and research excellence and because one day I wish to be able to make a difference in the field of Cancer Genetics. Visiting the remarkable collection of preserved medieval manuscripts from the Kungliga Biblioteket is on my bucket list.